Fix Connection Closed by Peer Problem

January 25th, 2007 in Writings

I’m sure most Malaysians knows that TMNet is doing something nasty on the heavy bittorrent users like me. Lately, they’re doing something nastier. Not just blocking peer to peer connection to international user, they’re now blocking P2P client connection to tracker! They’re on their evil plan on totally banning P2P!

At first, it happened to my brother, and he was using BitComet as his BT client. After the Taiwan earthquake, he started to have problems connecting to tracker, and that means he can’t even download anything! NO Tracker Connection = NO Peers Information = Can’t Download file. But that time, I was using uTorrent, and it works just fine. Just this few days ago, they started to block uTorrent client as well. It was a disaster! I tried using Flashget, but no luck as well. TMNet started to BAN ALL CLIENT eventually. Talking about Internet Domination…. :x

Although I must say that connection to private tracker like MyTorrent seems to be working fine

There is a discussion over at the uTorrent forum, and some of them suspects that TMNet is banning connection that has the torrent client user-agent. I did some testing, and it turns out that if you connect to the browser as any normal internet browsers like Firefox or Internet Explorer, the connection to the tracker is fine!

So what can we do? We can change the way our BT Client send the HTTP headers, by using a proxy server. There’s a workaround posted by one of the Lowyat Forumer. By using PAW Project, you can filter the outgoing packet, and even change the User-Agent! So, if you send packet from any torrent client to tracker as Firefox or Internet Explorer, or even as empty user-agent, you can connect to the tracker.

It works so far. I am able to connect to tracker, though the speed is still slow since I have to rely on Local Peers and Seeds. So now, I don’t have any Connection Closed by Peer problem in my utorrent. Kudos to the people of Lowyat Forum.

You may find that your email hosting is lacking in the options and power that you could have through other email hosting programs, a good example of which being Microsoft Exchange server packages. You can often save money on them buy getting it from your Coldfusion hosting provider as a package.

Popularity: 20% [?]

37 Responses

Jump to Comment Form

1. 1 Gravatar Icon ducky
    January 25th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

man, so thats what connection closed by peer means.
    I had great connection for a year before i was finally capped. 50kb max.
    switch from bitcomet to utorrent. i still can download with connection closed by peer for most anything but not from puretna ! which is why i got streamyx on the first place.
    thanks for info, will try out whether it work or not.

2. 2 Gravatar Icon ducky
    January 25th, 2007 at 10:53 pm

thanks man, connection no longer closed, its working. yipee puretna here i come.

3. 3 Planet SubKi||er » Blog Archive » Internet Breakdown
    January 27th, 2007 at 10:54 pm

[...] from Bit torrent no more. Anyone who wants a temporary workaround for the problem can visit GeminiGeek’s post on the matter for more [...]

4. 4 Gravatar Icon The Extreme
    January 30th, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Is PAW Project free?

5. 5 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    January 30th, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Yes, it’s free.

6. 6 Why Torrents in Streamyx is SLOW at GeminiGeek’s Online Journal
    January 31st, 2007 at 9:20 am

[...] Updates: Recently, TMNet started to block connection to tracker to. You might want to check this out. [...]

7. 7 Gravatar Icon Steven
    February 8th, 2007 at 9:29 am

I tried using the PAW proxy server described on the Lowyat forum, interestingly it is able to get the peers from the tracker faster than last time, however, it seems that it is unable to connect to those peers, so for me, no download too.

Not too sure what went wrong as I have checked the port 8080 is correct.

8. 8 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    February 8th, 2007 at 11:26 pm

You can try proximotron. It’s easier to use and it works on my client. :happy:

9. 9 Gravatar Icon insomnia
    April 8th, 2007 at 5:31 pm

opps… sorry but will you teach me how to use this?

10. 10 Gravatar Icon mohd ridzuan
    June 5th, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Tmnet don’t have any right to blocking p2p program. we pay for this
    service. that is our right what we want to do with internet. so, i hope
    the tmnet custumers can complaint directly to tmnet managment.

11. 11 Gravatar Icon Junehoe
    June 18th, 2007 at 2:34 pm

screw those Bitches !! block my torrent tracker’s !! i paid 88 for
    nothing. my download speed now >10kb/s only ar !!! fuck them
    kau kau la !! and ciggarates are now damn expensive laio . !!!
    NO mONEY BUY CIGGARATES

12. 12 Gravatar Icon bdkkecoh
    August 19th, 2007 at 9:50 am

tmnet monopoly malaysia punya internet service.itu pasal service pon macam sial… tgk negara lain nye isp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Internet_service_providers_by_country

13. 13 Gravatar Icon mew22
    September 6th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Any lawyers here? can I sue Tmnet for this? mew2001_22 “At” yahoo com

14. 14 Gravatar Icon taistogunnar
    October 3rd, 2007 at 11:11 pm

I have same problem in Finland(operator is ellinet) and I heard that PAW has fixed problems. Do you happen to know if there is any solution for Mac OSX, because currently I don’t have any windows?

15. 15 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    October 3rd, 2007 at 11:40 pm

PAW is Java based application, so I guess PAW works on all platforms.

16. 16 Gravatar Icon private
    October 7th, 2007 at 12:10 pm

DOmination……of ISP service……..

what to improve?????? in Malaysia ppl pay to streamyx….but the service provided is so TERRIBLE.. never upgrade…if u call for helpline….they will say …no ppl complaint bout the line or speed……..

the company never care bout wat you said…u can either want to use it or just leave it….no choice…….they is a lot of things in Malaysia that we cant do about it……

so if u be able to open ISP service in Malaysia….u will be the WORLD richest man…….
    as only u can say …no ppl else can say bout ISP services……….

17. 17 Gravatar Icon dutchcow
    October 27th, 2007 at 8:11 am

Good thing they won’t be able to block DHT (google on it) :roll: Also to anyone saying torrent is only used for illegal things, please goto legaltorrents.com and/or check any Linux/BSD distro, they all use torrent to distribute their contents, even game makes use torrents now to give you updates to games and such.

18. 18 Gravatar Icon arif
    December 27th, 2007 at 6:27 pm

hai.. can you teach me how to use PAW PROJECT??

19. 19 Gravatar Icon cdw92
    December 15th, 2008 at 11:04 pm

does this PAW program work with maxis broadband ???
    I just cant get it to work ~!!!
    keep getting HTTP error 500~~~~~~

20. 20 Gravatar Icon thinh
    January 25th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Can anybody here show me how to set it up? i tried but it didn’t work out.

21. 21 Gravatar Icon NoktahHitam
    April 26th, 2009 at 5:42 am

I still can’t connect to Demonoid Tracker. When using this, I get HTTP 500 error. Which means, the server (tracker) can’t understand my signals and doesn’t know how to response. The work around is to change the User-Agent to, utorrent/1.8.2, but some trackers can’t read this.

My main mission was to connect to Demonoid to get more seeders. But it’ll probably be super slow. Better than nothing right?

22. 22 Gravatar Icon Sanyu
    June 26th, 2009 at 11:53 am

Me too…all my torrents show (0/0) and tracker “connection closed by peer”
    What to do?

23. 23 Gravatar Icon Sanyu
    June 26th, 2009 at 11:55 am

i check my port forwarding:

Checking port 17122 on 60.50.9.195…
    OK!
    OK!

Port 17122 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

Stil…i cant do anything.

24. 24 Gravatar Icon gitarisk
    October 5th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Streamxy has be bitching now days,that why i stop using p2p instead im using online database to download such as rapid share or megaupload. So if you all want to download 1 movie a day follow my instruction.go to warezbb.com.sign up.search for movie.download movie that have the rs icon only.download using this tool.RapidShare Plus 4.0.exe..copy all link paste into this tool and it will download itself.

25. 25 Gravatar Icon Gamerz
    November 22nd, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Yea!!!I have to agree with gitarisk as well.WarezBB is the best direct download website that anyone can ask for.There are more options and more stuff you can download using all sorts of download links like megaupload, rapidshare, hotfile, fileserve and more.Even some stuff that you download through torrent may not be reliable or you may not be able to find it through torrent. I will give you an example on how good this website it is.If I was downloading Toy Story 3 Blu-Ray 1080p(size 10GB) using WarezBB I can finish it within 2 days and 4 hours as I am downloading 1GB file at a time.Downloading 1GB file for free-user works well with Megaupload & Fileserve. Yes,they do upload 1GB files as well although not all will do so.Can you imagine that?Save you a lot of time.If I was to rely on torrent not only I can’t find the download file and I think even 2 weeks is impossible to finish 10GB with the unstable download speed. Screw TMNet!!!!

26. 26 Gravatar Icon Vogue
    October 17th, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I felt a very very slight stumble every now and then, once warm it is still cutting out..hold RPM at 3K -idles awhile- battery light on � rpm drops to 1k- goes back to 2K drops right down to 1500 and then goes right back up to 3K for a lil while and then repeats.

27. 27 Gravatar Icon Dunstable Server Support Copmuters
    June 1st, 2013 at 1:29 am

Ahaa, its nice dialogue regarding this paragraph at this place at this
    blog, I have read all that, so at this time
    me also commenting here.

28. 28 Gravatar Icon storify.com
    June 2nd, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Simply want to say your article is as amazing.
    The clearness on your put up is simply great and that
    i could think you are knowledgeable on this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to stay up
    to date with imminent post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please keep up the enjoyable work.

29. 29 Gravatar Icon windows 8 serial key
    July 2nd, 2013 at 3:42 pm

It’s amazing to pay a visit this web page and reading the views of all friends concerning this post, while I am also zealous of getting know-how.

30. 30 Gravatar Icon Bailey
    July 20th, 2013 at 9:45 am

An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who had been doing a little homework
    on this. And he in fact ordered me breakfast simply because I stumbled upon it for him.
    .. lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!
    ! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to discuss this issue here on your
    blog.

31. 31 Gravatar Icon plants vs zombies free
    October 16th, 2013 at 5:19 am

Thank you for any other magnificent post. The place else could anybody get that kind of info in
    such an ideal approach of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week,
    and I am at the look for such info.

32. 32 Gravatar Icon Ruby
    October 29th, 2013 at 3:39 am

Very good blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on
    everything. Would you propose starting with a
    free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many choices out there that I’m totally overwhelmed ..

Any recommendations? Appreciate it!

33. 33 Gravatar Icon Plants Vs Zombies 2 Pc Download
    October 29th, 2013 at 10:54 am

Candy Crush and Bejeweled are great games for everyone in the
    family. Utilizing 3rd person over the shoulder game play that has become the standard for action-adventure
    games in today’s market, Uncharted 2 has a nearly perfect mix of fast paced action and complex puzzle solving.
    Back in the early to mid 90s, most PC game companies had to come up with ways to market their
    games and shareware was a great way to do so. With
    Dead Rising 2 released this week, it will be interesting to see if Case Zero holds
    the top spot or drops off as players migrate to the full game.
    Getting the big boosts (Phoenix Prism in particular) also helps.

34. 34 Gravatar Icon fox simpsons
    December 28th, 2013 at 10:55 pm

A pack of hyenas is a bit more more likely to take responsibility than Bush or the majority of people.
    Therefore, Meg pulls out a narrow victory, automatically up to anything else.
    The Simpsons came first which is often considered to be the premise for Family Guy, plus must get credit
    for longevity.

35. 35 Gravatar Icon Sherri
    March 28th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

I’m гeally impressed ѡith your writing skills
    ɑnd аlso with the layout on yοur weblog.

Is this a paid themе oг didd you modify it yourself?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it’s rare to see a great blog
    like tbis one today.

36. 36 Gravatar Icon download candy crush saga
    July 13th, 2014 at 7:09 pm

If you desire to get a great deal from this post then you have to apply such strategies to your won web site.

37. 37 Gravatar Icon sex
    September 12th, 2014 at 8:54 am

This is the right blog for anybody who would like to find out about
    this topic. You know a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not
    that I actually will need to…HaHa). You certainly
    put a new spin on a subject that’s been written about for decades.
    Wonderful stuff, just excellent!