Addmath Project Tips #1

August 22nd, 2004 in Writings

“Computer is allowed. It is not necessary to be handwritten”. I was overjoyed when i heard this. This time I don’t have to show my awful and hard-2-read handwriting for my teacher to see. Well, this is about my Addmath Project. This year’s Form 4 student have to deal with Statistics of their exam result (i suppose it is the same through out Malaysia).

For those who’s using computer as their “writer”, I’m sure you have troubles with typing those formula, such as the min, sisihan piawai or varians formula. Here’s a solution, if you’re a Micro$oft Words XP user. I’m not sure about the older version, but I suppose newer version should work, or works almost the same. Stop those nonsense introduction, go straight to the point!!

GeminiGeek’s Guide to AddMath Project Using Your PC #1

1. Make sure you have your Micro$oft Office XP cd with you. You will have to install Microsoft Equation 3.0. If you did a full installation, you can skip this process. If you did a Recommended Installation, then you will have to look through this step.
    • Insert your cd. (duh~) Do a Add and Remove Feature
    • All the feature available for installation will appear. Click on Office Tools
    • Make Equation Editor run on your computer.
    • Click Update so the Setup can update the installation.
  2. Alright, Step 2. Open your Micro$oft Words. Go to Insert –> Objects…. Under the Create New tab, scroll to Microsoft Equation 3.0. Check the Display as Icon (just check if you want more power)
  3. Then, a window will appear. You can type in the formula there. Make sure you have the Equation Editor Toolbar enable in your View, or else, you can do nothing. There’s quite a lot of fun stuff to do there. It’s kinda cool. Ok, when you’re done, Update (F3) and exit to Micro$oft Words.
  4. Now, you will see the Icon, but no EQUATION!!! Yikes, how? OK, now all you have to do is right click that icon, go to Equation Object –> Convert…. Now, uncheck the Display as Icon.
  5. And now, walla, you have the equation on your Micro$oft Words document. Cool, huh??

Here’s a note about the Display as Icon thing. Whenever you check that feature, editing an equation opens a new window. This is fairly important as this new feature allows you type Normal Text or customise the font or the look of the equation. Oh well, it’s up to you on how you want it to be. For me, i prefer to customize an equation in a new window.

Need more help? Feel free to leave a comment. I will reply ASAP. Since now is holiday, I will be online every night, so, you can also PM me through MSN Messenger. I’ll be posting Tips #2 on using your Micro$oft Excel. Well, it’s about playing with formula’s. Wait for it, ok?

Updates for AddMath Project 2008

I currently don’t have the questions for Addmath Project 2008. If any of you could nicely scan it or post it here, I would be more than happy to help you, if I can.

Updates for AddMath Project 2007

Due to massive response and ignorance of certain readers who are too lazy to even read the fucking comments, I decided to update the entry with all the replies I did in the comments. Please DON’T ASK ANYTHING THAT IS ALREADY MENTIONED HERE! I will delete the comments to prevent having comments overloaded. It suck up my hosting resource and it is not a good idea.

Form 5 Add Math Project

The question is about Ang, Bakar and Chandran, and the problems is related to calculating interests and compounding interest. Thanks to mAx for providing me the questions. Because interest rates and compounding interest is related to my studies, I am able to do most of the questions. I hope this guide is helpful for people looking for calculations help.

So here’s the solution:

1 a. Method one is progression and I suggest manual addition for the 2nd method. It shouldn’t be a problem that way. Just list all their monthly income and a total in a form of table. It is still a method, and I guess it’s not wrong to do so.

1 b. I’m sure you know how to count their income for 2nd year. Commenting is a very subjective questions, so just squeeze your brain and think for a while ;-)

1 c. I’m not sure if this calculation involved compound interest or not, but let’s just assume it involved compound interest. To count compound interest, you can use this formula:

Principle x (1 + interest rates)^(n Period) with interest rates express in over 100.

Since the interest rates are per annum, therefore you have to divide it into appropriate number of monthly renewal.

(i)
Ang:
Interest rates per month: 0.025/12 = 1/480.
Since it is renewed every month, therefore the compounding interest rates per month is at 1/480 for 36 months.
Therefore: RM10000 x (1 + 1/480)^36 = Amount received after 3 years.

Bakar:
Interest rates every 3 months: 0.03/4 = 3/400.
Renewed every 3 months, so, compounding interest rates per 3 months is at 3/400 for 12 period of 3 months.
Therefore: RM10000 x (1 + 3/400)^12 = Amount received after 3 years.

Well, I guess after my calculation, you should be able to count Chandran’s receivable as well.

(ii) Again, this is a subjective question. So, please think about it yourself :P

2 (a) My additional maths knowledge is kinda rusty, so I am not sure how to count this if you’re asking for a method or formula. But, if you are to count manually (which is to add it up to 18 times), I can show you how. Here’s how:

Year 1: RM300 x (1.08) = RM324
Year 2: (RM 324 + RM300) x (1.08) = RM673.92
Year 3: (RM673.92 + RM300) x (1.08) = RM1051.8336
Year 4: and so on…

2 (b) Refer here this comment for the answer.

I don’t have the questions for Addmath Project 2008, therefore, I can’t really help any of you if you just kept asking for answers regarding the Pendulum project.

Any questions asked will not be answered instantly. I have other things to do as well. So, refrain yourself from posting the same question again and again, or posting comments like “Quick. I need answer fast”. Such comments will be deleted. All I ask is your patience. I will answer your questions if I can. I will try to help as much as possible.

REFRAIN yourself from posting comments requesting ANSWERS SENT TO YOUR EMAIL. Those comments will be DELETED. Only DISCUSSION on this AddMath Project is allowed.

Popularity: 100% [?]

193 Responses

Jump to Comment Form

1. 1 Gravatar Icon abhi
    August 23rd, 2004 at 12:25 pm

you may also use LaTeX repository like MiKTeX and a GUI like Win Edit Beta 4 with it. Its mainly designed for mathematical formulae and stuff and most of the scientists use it.

and you have got a cool blog here… :)

2. 2 Gravatar Icon Izuan
    August 23rd, 2004 at 2:56 pm

Hey there, found your blog from PPS. Anyways, this Microsoft Equation 3.0, is it available for Office 2003? And where did you get it from?

3. 3 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2004 at 12:03 am

i would suppose so, just check your cd. i think it shud be in the Office Tools, when you go to the setup.

4. 4 Gravatar Icon General Alexander
    August 24th, 2004 at 12:40 pm

btw how bout using excel for the project. Why dun u giv a simple excel guide so that ppl who use excel as one of the kaedah for the project know how to use it

5. 5 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2004 at 12:55 pm

using MS Excel will be in my upcoming post

6. 6 Gravatar Icon SubKi||er
    August 25th, 2004 at 3:13 pm

if i’m not mistaken…Office 2003 already have that installed or something….not add-on separately….

7. 7 Gravatar Icon aini
    August 27th, 2004 at 5:05 pm

plz i need ur help. do messenger me or mail me 2nite

8. 8 Gravatar Icon colelinux
    September 1st, 2004 at 5:10 pm

Hey GeminiGeek, nice info on the addmaths project. I have the answer sheet uploaded on my forum. http://forum.xetech.org/index.php?showtopic=310 (link dead)

anyway, nice to meet, my msn is colelinux[at]ca.tc let’s chat ya?

9. 9 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 1st, 2004 at 10:29 pm

hey, that link is realli nice. veri helpful indeed. i’ll join that forum, support u all, hehehehe

10. 10 Gravatar Icon mei
    August 5th, 2005 at 2:59 pm

halo….
    can i know the solution for project addmath form 5 2005.??
    thanks…:idea:

11. 11 Gravatar Icon greendayyyy
    September 4th, 2005 at 2:32 pm

tq 4 ur answer dude!!!!! :D

12. 12 Gravatar Icon leo'n'libra
    October 25th, 2005 at 3:58 pm

how can i get ‘pengenalan’ in addmath project???…plzzz…i really2 need that…plzzz….

13. 13 Gravatar Icon Fariz
    January 7th, 2006 at 5:34 pm

Please bagi jawapan utk addmath punyer projek

14. 14 Gravatar Icon juilki
    July 10th, 2006 at 10:06 pm

:o :P :D :) 8O :lol: :sick: :idea: :happy: :fishy: :blush: o_0 X/ :| :o :P :D
    hi i just want to know where i can find the topics of add math
    i am in form 4 now
    so my add math is in english version

15. 15 Gravatar Icon mel
    October 14th, 2006 at 10:40 am

hey. me too needs the answer to the sheep pen question :D . i dont get it . actually i dont even know why we have to do this :blush:. i hope u can send me the answers to this questions . thank you so much . :lol:

16. 16 Gravatar Icon hanten
    October 17th, 2006 at 1:50 pm

please help me to find the answer for additional mathematics project work title:sheep pen as soon as possible.send to my e-mail:hantenmaru87@yahoo.com……
    I really hope there will be someone to help me…………………….

17. 17 Gravatar Icon pam
    October 20th, 2006 at 1:38 pm

please do help me in my project with the title aluminium can..pleaseee

18. 18 Gravatar Icon PAL
    October 21st, 2006 at 12:04 pm

Please help me in add math form 4 regarding aluminium can. Thank’s. :cry:

19. 19 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    October 21st, 2006 at 12:11 pm

Give me the question. I might be able to help a bit. :idea:

20. 20 Gravatar Icon joyce
    October 21st, 2006 at 8:22 pm

can please help me to find the answer for form4, 2006 additional mathematics project work about “aluminium can”? thanks… 8)

21. 21 Gravatar Icon PAL
    October 24th, 2006 at 9:29 pm

Same question as Joyce on aluminium can project. Hope for your reply as soon as possible. Thank you in advance. :D

22. 22 Gravatar Icon may
    October 25th, 2006 at 11:42 am

i would like to ask for ur help in my add maths project work..the question is shown below..

question: The Muhibbah Company is a manufacturer of cylindrical aluminium tins.The manager plans to reduce the cost of production. The production cost is proportional to the area of aluminium sheet used. The volume that each tin can hold is 1000 cm

23. 23 Gravatar Icon hui
    October 25th, 2006 at 12:10 pm

can help me to find the answer for form4, additional mathematics project about

24. 24 Gravatar Icon yaya
    October 25th, 2006 at 5:28 pm

same question like MAY or da question is ’bout da aluminium can….pliz rply 4 my question a.s.a.p……..as da dateline becomes nearer…thanx i advnce

25. 25 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    October 25th, 2006 at 9:40 pm

Ah… So hard… It’s been almost a year I haven’t touch anything related calculus. I can’t help much, but I believe you must take note this:

V, volume for cylinder = pi r

26. 26 Gravatar Icon juju
    October 27th, 2006 at 12:09 pm

i want the answer for the question addmaths project work form 4 aluminium can too

27. 27 Gravatar Icon mia
    January 25th, 2007 at 6:04 pm

can somebody help me to do my addmaths project …. aluminium can????????? :(
    errmmmmm…….. please give me a clue… :(

28. 28 Gravatar Icon hannah
    February 1st, 2007 at 1:44 pm

please help me how i want do in addmath projek work’the sheep pen’and
    also giv me answer..plzzzz.. :cry: :cry:

29. 29 Gravatar Icon fatin_mole
    May 30th, 2007 at 11:05 am

assalamuaaikum…..i’ll here to find how to do project work add math f5 on tittle
    water tank…would anyone help me???

30. 30 Gravatar Icon ana
    June 3rd, 2007 at 12:08 am

please give me the answer for the project
    addmath for year 2007 form4.the title is?
    “obesity awareness campaign”

31. 31 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 3rd, 2007 at 12:12 am

Hi! Even if you give me the title, I don’t even have the questions. And besides, I have forgotten how to do all these addmaths thing. So yeah, even if you ask me, I don’t know how to do.

Cheers :)

32. 32 Gravatar Icon ana
    June 3rd, 2007 at 1:29 am

pleaz help me 4 eg. the question is describe the role that u can play to make the “Obesity Awareness Campaign” a success

33. 33 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 3rd, 2007 at 1:44 am

Sometimes it’s better if such SUBJECTIVE question is for you to work it out yourself. Please, it’s not that hard to think of something you can do to make a campaign success.

34. 34 Gravatar Icon mAx
    June 5th, 2007 at 3:46 pm

hello! I’m new here..can you solve this for me?? it’s the 2007 add-maths project.
    Question:
    Ang, Bakar and Chandran are friends and they have just graduated from a local university. Ang works in a company with a starting pay of RM2000 per month. Bakar is a sales executive whose income depends solely on the commission he receives. He earns a commission of RM1000 for the 1st month increases by RM100 for each subsequent month. On the other hand, Chandran decides to go into business. He opens a cafe and makes a profit of RM100 in the first month. For the first year, his profit in each subsequent month is 50% more than that of the previous month.

In the second year, Ang receives a 10% increment in his monthly pay. On the other hand, the commission received by Bakar is reduced by RM50 for each subsequent month. In addition, the profit made by Chandran is reduced by 10% for each subsequent month.

1. a) How much does each of them receive at the end of the 1st year?
    (2 or more method are required for this ques.)
    [max: besides progressions method, what can i use?? show me..]

b) What is the percentage change in their total income for the 2nd year compared to the 1st year? Comment on the answers.

c) Ang, Bakar and Chandran, each decided to open a fixed deposit account of RM10000 for 3years without any withdrawal.
    – Ang keeps the amount at an interest rate of 2.5% per annum for a duration of 1month renewable at the end of each month.
    – Bakar keeps the amount at an interest rate of 3% per annum for a duration of 3months renewable at the end of every 3months.
    – Chandran keeps the amount at an interest rate of 3.5% per annum for a duration of 6months renewable at the end of every 6months.

(i) Find the total amount each of them will receive after 3years.
    (ii) Compare & comment on the difference in the interests received. If you were to invest RM10000 for the same period of time, which fixed deposit account would you prefer? Give your reasons.

Further Exploration
    2. a) When Chandran’s 1st child, Johan is born, Chandran invested RM300 for him at 8% compound interest per annum. He continues to invest RM300 on each of Johan’s birthday, up to and including his 18th birthday. What will be the total value of the investment on Johan’s 18th birthday?

b) If Chandran starts his investment with RM500 instead of RM300 at the same interest rate, calculate on which birthday will the total investment be more than RM25000 for the 1st time.

* Compound interest is interest earned during a period calculated on the basis of the original sum together with interest earned from the previous periods.

35. 35 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 5th, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Hi! I’m not sure if my answers are correct, but I will try my best to help. :)

1 a. Since you know how to use the progression method, so I suggest manual addition for the 2nd method. It shouldn’t be a problem that way. Just list all their monthly income and a total in a form of table. It is still a method, and I guess it’s not wrong to do so.

Principle x (1 interest rates)^(n Period) with interest rates express in per 100.

(i)
    Ang:
    Interest rates per month: 0.025/12 = 1/480.
    Therefore: RM10000 x (1 1/480)^36 = Amount received after 3 years.

Bakar:
    Interest rates every 3 months: 0.03/4 = 3/400.
    Therefore: RM10000 x (1 3/400)^12 = Amount received after 3 years.

Year 1: RM300 x (1.08) = RM324
    Year 2: (RM 324 RM300) x (1.08) = RM673.92
    Year 3: (RM673.92 RM300) x (1.08) = RM1051.8336
    Year 4: and so on…

2 (b) This is similar, but instead of counting it until Year 18, you count it until the amount reached RM25000.

I’m not sure if my calculation helps, but I hope it does :)

36. 36 Gravatar Icon uhuh
    June 6th, 2007 at 7:08 pm

ey,..
    bleh ke gna compound interest utk solve question no 1(c)?
    one more, utk question 1(b), klau nk kira total income utk bakar n chandran, kena guna amount monthly pay yg mana satu?..monthly pay yg first month for 1st year or last month for 1st year?..help me please.. :(

37. 37 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 6th, 2007 at 7:53 pm

For question 1(c), check the solution i posted up. Since the question didn’t mention anything, let’s assume the interest is compounding. It makes more sense because nobody withdraws their interest when renewing their Fixed D. Think about it.

For question 1(b), the question is very unclear. So, I believe you start reducing Bakar and Chandran’s income on 2nd year’s January, based on their the income on December of 1st year.

Ask your teacher, I believe your teacher wouldn’t mind clearing this small uncertainty.

38. 38 Gravatar Icon LAMANEUR
    June 7th, 2007 at 5:14 am

:cry: I would like to ask how to do the “Obesity Awareness Campaign” add maths project?The question ask me to calculate the standard deviaton of the weight by using three different method but I really dont’t know how to do it. I burned the midnight oil for a week to complete the project but I really don’t know how to do it.Can you please lend me hand because I really need help from you and I have to hand up by 15 June. THANK YOU!

39. 39 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 7th, 2007 at 9:13 am

Without the question, I can’t even give you any guide or help. If you’re asking me how to calculate standard deviation, then I can only tell you to refer your textbook for the formula.

40. 40 Gravatar Icon uhuh
    June 7th, 2007 at 4:30 pm

thanx a lot!!
    i really appreciate it! :D

41. 41 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    June 7th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

You’re welcome :)

42. 42 Gravatar Icon schmeltz
    June 15th, 2007 at 6:13 pm

hello… i really hav a probs wit my addmaths project 4 this year… X/ would u like to help me… plezzz

43. 43 Gravatar Icon the add math project answer form 4
    June 17th, 2007 at 8:28 pm

The obesity awareness add math project.

I have just finish this project but i cant post the whole project here, its too long. So if u guys want the answer for the form 4 add math project please message me at *removed*. Or u can call me at *removed*. This is no spam. and u can add me on msn at *removed*.

44. 44 Gravatar Icon sonia
    August 3rd, 2007 at 6:54 pm

i cant do my addmath project .. !!! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

in tis campaigan, u r required to abtain the heights n weights of 50 student in form 4 & 5.

a) tabulate ur data using the following format .

b) construst a frequency distribution table for the weights obtained using a suitable class interval.

i) represent ur data from the frequency distribution table by using three different statistical graphs.

ii) find the mean, median, mode for the weights of the 50 students.which 1 of the three is the best measure of central tendency to represent the data? expain ur choice.

45. 45 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 3rd, 2007 at 8:07 pm

Oh! All these are on Statistics?

a) Following format? What format?

b) Since you are constructing a frequency distribution table for Weight, I guess your table should look something like this:

+-----------+---------+
    |Weight (kg)|Frequency|
    +-----------+---------+
    | 31 - 35 � | � X X � |
    +-----------+---------+
    | 36 - 40 � | � X X � |
    +-----------+---------+
    | 41 - 45 � | � X X � |
    +-----------+---------+

Finding mean, median and mode? I believe you do know how to find it :)

46. 46 Gravatar Icon huda
    August 4th, 2007 at 1:27 pm

can you give me -the introduction like the history,moral values,and any other information
    about question ang,bakar n chandran……..
    -the problem solving-2method
    -exploration-1 method
    -conclusion
    please!!!!!PLEASE………………..

47. 47 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 4th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

Hi huda.

Questions OTHER than calculation is for you to find it out for yourself. I cannot just feed anyone with answers and you all just copy and paste. I give tips and guides. NOT ANSWERS!

48. 48 Gravatar Icon oz
    August 4th, 2007 at 11:44 pm

referring to the addmaths project 2007 question 2(b) i.e.

b) If Chandran starts his investment with RM500 instead of RM300 at the same interest rate, calculate on which birthday will the total investment be more than RM25000 for the 1st time,

there is a bit of a mix up as they did not mention if Chandran continued to invest RM 500 on each of Johan’s birthday as he did in question 2(a). The only thing it did mention though was that the interest received remained constant. so here, you should NOT use the same method as you did to answer question 2(a), that is by doing this:

Year 1: RM500 x (1.08) = RM 540
    Year 2: (RM 540 + RM500) x (1.08) = RM 1123.2
    Year 3: (RM1123.2 + RM500) x (1.08) = RM xxx
    Year 4: and so on…

instead, the geometric progression formula should be applied. that is:

Sn = [a(r^n – 1)]/(r – 1)

here, the Sn = 25 000, a = starting amount = 500, and r = common ratio = 540/500 = 1.08 and n refers to the first time the total investment exceeeds a value of RM 25000.

as the total investment must exceed RM 25000,

[a(r^n – 1)] / (r – 1) > 25 000
    [500(1.08^n – 1)] / (1.08 – 1) > 25 000
    [500(1.08^n – 1)] / (0.8) > 25 000
    500(1.08^n – 1) > 25000 x 0.8
    500(1.08^n – 1) > 2000
    1.08^n – 1 > 4
    1.08^n > 5
    n > (log 5) / (log 1.08)
    n > 20.9

Therefore, the total investment will be more than RM 25 000 for the first time on Johan’s 21st birthday.

49. 49 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 4th, 2007 at 11:56 pm

oz, thanks for the head up. I believe you have a point there. And I think your answer makes more sense than mine. Updated the entry :)

Anyways, I did the addmath project myself for my form4 and form5, and there’s always gray area in the questions. The question is usually unclear, like for this year, question 1(c) is unclear. It doesn’t mention that whether the interest is kept in as capital or not. Though I believe, it may make no sense if one withdraw their interest whenever they renew their fixed deposit.

50. 50 Gravatar Icon starshine
    August 8th, 2007 at 2:40 pm

i had already know the answer for this project. but the problem is that i had no any idea about on how to the introduction………. :unsure:

51. 51 Gravatar Icon syaheira
    August 8th, 2007 at 10:02 pm

please….can u help me…..i need all the answers for this project…i even dont know how to start…its crazy…argghhhhhh……it really make me sick!!!!!! :o :cry:

52. 52 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 8th, 2007 at 10:12 pm

For how to start, ask your friends or teacher.

For the calculation, I believe I did most of it. Just refer to the entry.

The addmath project isn’t that hard. For the 2 years doing the project, I find the hardest part in the project is doing the calculation. Introduction and all the other writing part are easy. Besides, you don’t have to worry much about the other sections because they don’t carry as many marks as the calculation part. And don’t forget that this project only helps you to understand what you’ve learn in Additional Maths. If I’m not mistaken, this project DOES NOT carry marks for your SPM. Don’t worry too much about it.

Good luck :)

53. 53 Gravatar Icon nathalie
    August 8th, 2007 at 10:28 pm

:cry:

hi~~

could anyone please help to explain and give a sample answers for the following questions:

c) Calculate the standard deviation of the weights by using three different methods. (Note: Include “entering raw data into a calculator” as a method]

d) What conclusion can you draw from the standard deviation obtained in part c?

i’m only using it as a reference, thanks!

54. 54 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 8th, 2007 at 10:42 pm

If you’re using Casio fx-570ms calculator, I might be able to help you.

First, you must change the mode of your calculator to SD. Press “Mode” 2 times and press 1 to choose SD.

Once you are in SD mode, you can start entering the data. Enter each data follow it by M+. For example, let’s say your data consist of; 45, 45, 50, 52, 60, 63. So, you press 45, then M+, then 50, then M+, and so on. As you add your data, the value of n will increase.

After all data is added, you can can find the Sum of all data, Variance or Distribution by just pressing few buttons. Just press Shift 1, 2 or 3, and you can find them already.

55. 55 Gravatar Icon nathalie
    August 9th, 2007 at 4:32 pm

thanks!

56. 56 Gravatar Icon marxz
    August 9th, 2007 at 5:28 pm

may i noe de solution about the add math project question b :
    based on the information given and the data collected , determine the percentage of students that are underweight and the percentage of students that are obese by drawing an ogive ..
    can u show me the way of drawing ? :(

57. 57 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 9th, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Everyone have different data sets, and base on the data, draw an ogive. Refer to your reference book, it should show what data you need to find and what data to plot in to the graph. If my memory serves me right, you need frequency, end-point of the data range, and also cumulative frequency.

58. 58 Gravatar Icon Angel
    August 9th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

I think you have heard this question before.

Calculate the standard deviation of the weights by using 3 different methods
    [Note: Include "entering raw data into a calculator]

Well, I’m using canon F-720i, do you know how to calculate it? Based on what you have taught a person before, how can I paste my work on the paper? I can do it well by using formula, but the problem now is I don’t know what is 2 more methods that we have to use. Can you guide me?

Thanks.

59. 59 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 10th, 2007 at 12:52 am

Hi Angel.

I’ve never use a canon calculator, so I can’t really help. Check your calculator’s manual and see if it does have any statistic calculation mode. I guess to explain this method, you just have to write what button you pressed and what result does it give you.

And for another method, maybe you can use Microsoft Excel to count. You can use VARP() to count variance and SQRT() to count square root. Let’s say you have all the data from cell A1 to A20. Then you just put the formula =VARP(A1:A20) in a new cell, say A21. To get the standard deviation, enter =SQRT(A21) in another new cell, say A22. There you go, you got standard deviation on A22.

60. 60 Gravatar Icon marxz
    August 10th, 2007 at 3:49 pm

may i noe what is de purpose of standard deviation ?? thanks you very much :)

61. 61 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 10th, 2007 at 4:43 pm

For stuff like this, you can easily find them at Wikipedia or Google.

Here’s a wikipedia article on standard deviation.

62. 62 Gravatar Icon Angel
    August 11th, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Thank you for yo tips. 1 more question..What is my introduction should about? I have to write about the Obesity Awareness Campaign or about addmath? Its quite hard to do it because my teacher doesn’t want to teach us and everyone have to do it all by themselves.

63. 63 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 11th, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Hi, I need help on the conclusion for the Obesity Awareness Campaign. I cant think of what to write. It is all that is left in the project.
    Thanks.

64. 64 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 13th, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Perhaps you can write about obesity awareness in your school? I’m not sure myself either.

When I was in Form 4, the question is about AddMath marks in my class, similar to you all, only that you all is taking the weight of your classmates. For that project, I wrote introduction on the history of Statistic. And in Form 5, the question is about Water Tanks problem in a neighbourhood. I wrote about the history of water tanks for introduction. I guess it is up to you to write.

For conclusion, just write the result of your findings, and what can you conclude from your calculation. This means that you should know what you are calculating, and what each calculation means.

65. 65 Gravatar Icon YourlY
    August 14th, 2007 at 2:14 am

im doing the ‘obesity awarness….’
    i need to write the appriciative,objective of investigation n method of investigation but i’m not very know how to do these.
    can u pls explain need2 write wat?
    1)is it in appreciative need2 write thanking2 who n who?or somemore?
    2) what r objective of investigation n method of investigation mean ?
    what should i write in these?
    3) what can write in Making conjecture (means do a early prediction) abt this project?
    4) who can give me the website which have the example of doing add math project? bcoz i don’t kno the correctly steps n working to complete a add math project.
    Thanking to whose can help can!Thank you! :) :D

66. 66 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 14th, 2007 at 10:01 am

Appreciative? Do you actually need to write that? Or is this the new thing taken account in the AddMath Project for this year? Well, like the name suggested, appreciative, I guess is a page thanking whoever that has help you with this project. I hope you don’t forget to thank me :P

Objective of Investigation is new to me. I’ve never did this in my project. Well, from my understanding of the word “Objective”, I guess you write about the goal of the investigation. As for Method of Investigation, well, it is pretty self-explanatory. Just explain the method used to find the answer!

Making Conjecture is usually for Further Exploration section in the question. Just write out your prediction or speculation of the answers, and then conclude that whether your conjecture is acceptable or not after your calculation.

If you dropped by here via Search Engine, then you know which site to go for your AddMath guides :)

67. 67 Gravatar Icon Grace
    August 14th, 2007 at 5:34 pm

hi

the three method is Formula 1 , formula 2 n calculator or microsoft exel…
    can u please tell me wat is Formula 1 , formula 2 n calculator and how to use it…my calculator model is casio fx-350ms…thans

68. 68 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 14th, 2007 at 6:22 pm

Hi Grace. Please use the Edit function instead of posting so many comments.

Anyways, for question (c), I believe I show all 3 methods, which are:
    1. Formula
    2. Calculator
    3. Microsoft Excel.

I am not familiar with Casio fx-350ms, so I suggest you check your calculator’s manual and see if it has Statistic function or not. If I am not mistaken, that model don’t have statistic function.

69. 69 Gravatar Icon Grace
    August 14th, 2007 at 8:19 pm

Thanx anyway

70. 70 Gravatar Icon JOAn
    August 15th, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Hi
    Do anyone noe how to use the microsoft excel??? How to insert the fornula inside the table??? like sum of fx got the symbol for summation of one…….

71. 71 Gravatar Icon Angel
    August 15th, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Do you mind to teach me how to calculate standard deviation by excel?

72. 72 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 15th, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Refer here.

If you don’t understand it, well, I’ve created a Spreadsheet for public viewing.

73. 73 Gravatar Icon Janice
    August 16th, 2007 at 1:45 am

Hi

I’m not sure whether my question is related to the topic..

I have tried to use the references at kongsiproject.com for my Add Maths folio, but the website requires that you register for an account to view the completed projects. The problem is that when I tried to submit my application:

Janice says:

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm. AutoGenerate cannot be used in a cluster.

Source Error:

The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a “Debug=true” directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

Could you please help? Or maybe suggest a website that deals with this issue?

Thanks!

74. 74 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 16th, 2007 at 2:02 am

It’s a glitch in that site. I can’t solve it for you. Contact that site’s administrator, not me :)

75. 75 Gravatar Icon wENdy
    August 16th, 2007 at 5:27 pm

Hi
    Can anyone explain the following question:

1) Repreasent your data from the frequency distribution table by using three different statistical graphs.

The three different statistical graphs….. What are they?

76. 76 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 16th, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Histogram? Line Graphs? I can only think of 2… I’m not too sure about this myself too :unsure:

77. 77 Gravatar Icon NooB
    August 16th, 2007 at 10:15 pm

Hi…
    Just wanna ask someone who noe…
    How to find standard deviation by using calculator and microsoft excel??

78. 78 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 16th, 2007 at 10:27 pm

Read the comments. Please, don’t make me delete your comment again.

79. 79 Gravatar Icon NooB
    August 17th, 2007 at 12:29 am

Sry lah..
    i oredy read de comment but still don understand…
    i just wanna noe more detail so dat i can do a quality work..

80. 80 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 17th, 2007 at 1:50 am

I’ve explained it. I’ve even created an example excel worksheet. If you still don’t understand, then you should learn how to use Excel.

81. 81 Gravatar Icon Prawnie
    August 18th, 2007 at 8:33 pm

Hi.. I would like to ask something.. I’m doing the “Obesity Awareness Campaign” project.. They required us to calculate the standard deviation using three methods.. I’ve read your comments, which is to use formulae, calculator and excel.. Do we need to prove it? I mean like, if i used calculator, how do I prove that I’ve used calculator? The teacher wouldn’t know right, if i didn’t state it out in the project paper.. So, how to prove that I’ve used calculator? As in, do we need to write down the calculations or whatsoever?

Thanking you in advance..

82. 82 Gravatar Icon ChEE
    August 18th, 2007 at 9:58 pm

Hi…
    i would like to ask how to write the introduction? Teacher say need to include history or moral or values… but i don know how to start it… and also the conclusion… Wat to write about the conclusion? Is it about the formula? :(
    Thanks

83. 83 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 18th, 2007 at 10:52 pm

If you want to prove to your teacher that you’re using Scientific Calculator, well, you can take a picture of it, and the write “step by step” (eg: what button to press) to achieve the answer. If you’re too lazy to take a picture of your calculator, perhaps you can just write what will you see in the calculator screen. I guess you just write something that is understandable by your teacher, and that your teacher are able to do the same thing using his/her own calculator. That should be sufficient enough.

As for Excel, you can just print out the your excel worksheet excerpt, and you label the cell that contains formula. My teacher accept that kind of presentation. Too bad I don’t keep the soft copy of my project, if not I will present it to you as a guidance purpose. I don’t have a scanner/camera as well. Sorry :P

For Introduction, well, just like what your teacher say, just write history. Since it is about obesity, why not write about the awareness of being fat in your school? Just a suggestion :P

You don’t write about the formula for conclusion. You write about it in Method of Investigation. That is where you explain about the formula and method used. You write about the answer for your conclusion, and this is usually to conclude what you have in the Further Exploration and the project as a whole.

84. 84 Gravatar Icon ChEE
    August 19th, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Thanks…
    And also one question… how to determine the percentage of students that are underweight and bese? What are the statistical graphs needed? :unsure:
    TQ.

85. 85 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 19th, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Frankly speaking, I am not too sure about it too. I think you will need an ogive to find the answers. The underweight people should be the people at the bottom of the the ogive before the first curve curve and obese people should be people after the 2nd curve.

I’ve created a mock ogive for your convenience.
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I dare not say this is correct, I guess you still have to refer to your teacher or friends. It’s been a while since I’ve touched anything related to statistics. X/

86. 86 Gravatar Icon ChEE
    August 19th, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Thanks for the detail…
    There are some question that i dont really know how to do…
    1) About the conclusion that you can draw from the standard deviation.. Need to conclude what? The answer of the standard deviation only?
    2) As a student, what can i do to make the campaign success? I have to write about what? The campign?
    Hope u can help me… I really appreciate your help… Thx..

87. 87 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 19th, 2007 at 4:10 pm

Then you have to understand why are you calculating standard deviation. You have to understand the figure that you calculated means. Read the question. This is out of my scope already, because I forgot most of the stuff I learned in secondary school.

How do you make the campaign success? Well, what do you think? This is a very subjective question, I guess I don’t have to feed you with the answer as well. Think, think, think :idea:

88. 88 Gravatar Icon Prawnie
    August 20th, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Thanks for the tips!.. :happy:

89. 89 Gravatar Icon zaeqa
    August 20th, 2007 at 1:17 pm

hi
    i wanna ask 1 question..
    how do u draw an ogive graph using computer?
    thanks :lol:

90. 90 Gravatar Icon jessy
    August 20th, 2007 at 1:43 pm

how to do checking method for add maths project form 5

91. 91 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 20th, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I am not too sure how to draw an ogive using computer. I draw the ogive manually using a graph paper on my project last time.

As for checking, I’m not too sure myself. Perhaps do a reverse calculation? Like how to get the figure in your questions from your answers. I’m not too sure myself too.

92. 92 Gravatar Icon tintin
    August 21st, 2007 at 4:18 am

hey..
    thanx a lot seyh!
    last yr i did the project work, but then it was not me who actually did all the calculations n ol, i basically copied the answers from my senior.
    but this time, i manage to do on my own (though i didn’t really squeeze my brain for ALL the answers, hehe)..this is bcoz i found ur page n decided to try it on my own, like you did.
    i couldn’t ask for my teachers’ help as we have to do it during the school holiday n we only have like, a week to finish doing it..practically, we have to do on our own loh..
    so, thank you for sharing and wish you all the best! :wink: :happy: :D

93. 93 Gravatar Icon janice
    August 21st, 2007 at 8:43 am

do we need to write penghargaan ,rumusan..those things ??

94. 94 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 21st, 2007 at 9:49 am

As I know, you don’t have to do penhargaan, but you have to do rumusan/kesimpulan. BUT format may have change in the past few years (I am a Form5 student in 2005).

95. 95 Gravatar Icon MicHH
    August 21st, 2007 at 6:41 pm

i still dun get it..:( y dun jz giv us the exact project? X/ u know..we gt tonnes of homeworks..n REVISIONS!! so plzzz…i will appreciate if ya giv da exact project answer :happy:

96. 96 Gravatar Icon MicHH
    August 21st, 2007 at 6:44 pm

oops @@ i nvr refer wats ur options..anewayz..thx fer the guides :happy:

97. 97 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 21st, 2007 at 8:54 pm

A lot of homeworks and revision doesn’t mean you can just download and print the project. If that is the case, then there’s no meaning to this project. That’s why I don’t give you all everything, which includes in the introduction and all the other theory part.

I know, its pressuring when you have so many things to do and you have to meet the dateline. I’ve been there, done that. Time management is everything. Good luck :)

98. 98 Gravatar Icon janice
    August 22nd, 2007 at 7:43 am

so the rumusan will do in English or BM?

99. 99 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 22nd, 2007 at 12:21 pm

janice, are you studying your Add Math in English or BM? I am not sure when you all start learning Add Math in English, because the time I studied mine (in 2004 and 2005), it’s in BM. So naturally, my projects are in BM too.

100. 100 Gravatar Icon eleaneor
    August 22nd, 2007 at 3:30 pm

thanks guys..
    thanks 4 sharing those things…
    it help me a lotzz… :P

101. 101 Gravatar Icon ryana
    August 22nd, 2007 at 10:35 pm

thanx alot for ur help….
    :D :) 8) :lol: :roll: :blush: :happy:

102. 102 Gravatar Icon lily amirah
    August 23rd, 2007 at 12:05 am

hello….i’d like to say thanx.havnt start d work yet but thank god i found this blog :)

103. 103 Gravatar Icon whY
    August 23rd, 2007 at 7:25 pm

i m doing d “obesity awarsness campaign”….
    erm….about d introduction
    may include history/moral/values and other information RELEVANT TO THE TASK
    den it mean write about statistics or obesity?
    i c ur post b4….
    1 u say write bout history of statistics n other 1 u say write bout obesity awareness in skul
    relevant to the task….den wat should i write? :cry: :cry:
    thx

104. 104 Gravatar Icon jessy
    August 24th, 2007 at 8:36 am

How to do graph method for add. maths project work 2007?

105. 105 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 10:05 am

whY, you could write both. Split your introduction into 2 parts. First, you write about the obesity campaign awareness, then from there try to divert to concentration into statistic, and you write about history of statistic. Just a suggestion. I don’t know what’s the exact question and instruction from your teacher.

jessy, to draw a graph, you need to tabulate your data. Read your text or reference book. You should be able to know how to tabulate your data and from that tabular data, transfer it to a graph.

106. 106 Gravatar Icon jessy
    August 24th, 2007 at 11:01 am

how to tabulate the data. i dont know.plz help me….i must submit my project on monday

107. 107 Gravatar Icon aloha
    August 24th, 2007 at 11:10 am

Hello there, thanks for your guide. I accidentally found your blog. :happy:

Can you give any suggestion on using which program to draw those graph ? Like ogive, histogram, and a frequency polygon? I wondering using what to draw the graphs as the Microsoft Office can’t give me “upper boundary” and “lower boundary” for those graph. :cry:

THanks. :)

108. 108 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 11:27 am

Tabulate data means to put all your data into a form of table. No offense, if you don’t know how to do that, then I guess should rethink whether you should take up additional maths in your SPM or not. It’s a simple thing that you’re also doing in your modern maths.

As for drawing graph, well last time, I manually draw ogive using graph paper. But I think in real-life statistic, you usually don’t see the obvious curve in ogive (upper boundary and lower boundary). Estimation should be good enough.

109. 109 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 24th, 2007 at 11:50 am

Hi..that for your guide..That’s great…but i would like to ask another question..i really no idea about the conclusion in standard deviation..can you please give an example or other guide? i read about standard deviation in wikipedia but i still cant understand..how do i write the conclusion on standard deviation??
    Help me…THANKS very much!!

110. 110 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Well, it’s not that hard to relate standard deviation to your project. You are doing statistics based on the weight of your class, right? Now, if you’ve read the standard deviation article on wikipedia, it says that standard deviation is the measure of spread in the populated data. This means that the bigger the value of the standard deviation, the larger the spread in the the populated data, the less consistent your populated data.

So, what can you derive from standard deviation? You are calculating the spread of the weight of your classmates. If the value of the standard deviation is really big, this means that your class have really thin and really fat students. And that means that the weight of the students in your class is not consistent. If the standard deviation value is small, this means the weight of the students is your class is consistent, and you don’t see really fat and really thin student in your class. Well, that is to put it bluntly. The keyword there is consistent.

111. 111 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 24th, 2007 at 1:02 pm

If the data points are close to the mean, then the standard deviation is small. As well, if many data points are far from the mean, then the standard deviation is large. If all the data values are equal, then the standard deviation is zero.
    This is what i got from the wikipedia…is it meant that to get know the standard deviation is large or small, we have to compare with the mean??
    My result on mean is 53.06 and my standard deviation is only 8.94…How is it??The standard deviation is very large…is it correct?The thing is i dun know how to differentiate the standard deviation is large or small.
    Anywhere, i got some useful information form your guide..
    Thanks very much ya!

112. 112 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 24th, 2007 at 1:17 pm
    Weight (kg)	Midpoint,x        Frequency
    40-45	          42.5	                 11
    46-51	          48.5	                 14
    52-57	          54.5	                 12
    58-63	          60.5	                  6
    64-69	          66.5	                  4
    70-75	          72.5	                  2
    76-81	          78.5	                  1

here is my data..i hope u can explain well to me about the standard deviation…
    Really thanks for ur help…

113. 113 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 1:20 pm

Yes. That is what standard deviation is. If you’ve notice in your standard deviation formula in your text or reference book, you should notice that you need to calculate the mean before you can calculate variance or standard deviation. You should get the drift by now :idea:

Well, I guess it’s up to you to decided whether the standard deviation is very large or not. Maybe you can compare the answers from other classes, and you make judgment from there. Answers like this is rather in the gray area because there is no right or wrong. A standard deviation of 5 can be high, depending on what kind of data you’re doing. I can’t make the judgment for you. You decide it :)

114. 114 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 24th, 2007 at 1:46 pm

ok….I think the standard deviation is large…THANK YOU!!!

115. 115 Gravatar Icon aloha
    August 24th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Hello there again :)

why is it my standard deviance calculated from excel or calculator and from the formula are different? which answer should i choose as a conclusion ?

thanks

116. 116 Gravatar Icon isha
    August 24th, 2007 at 2:22 pm

hye..
    sory to interrupt u..
    my teacher gave me a rubrid bout diz project..
    here they are…
    we need to do introduction, task specification n problem solving…
    my quest is..
    we should choose at least 2 suitable problem solving method…
    but…
    i dont understand..
    what should i solve?
    what is the probs?
    we just need 2 do stats only?ryte?
    pleaz ya..

117. 117 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

aloha, welcome back :)
    There’s always a slight difference between the answers you get from excel and calculator. That is because the decimal place are different. Try to limit yourself to 2 or 3 decimal places, and everything should be OK. If there’s a big difference, then perhaps you’re using the wrong formula.

@isha: Solve the questions of course! You can’t be getting the rubric without the questions! You should write about the method you chose to solve the problem in your questions. Let’s say you use formula, so you write the formula, then explain what the formula calculates and what does each symbol stands for.

118. 118 Gravatar Icon whY
    August 24th, 2007 at 3:32 pm

i noe le…..erm….understand le…
    nw i m trying 2 start d project…
    thx 4 ur help :lol: :lol:

119. 119 Gravatar Icon alysson
    August 24th, 2007 at 4:58 pm

hi! i’m a form 4 student and im doing the obesity question. the ques i dont really know how to do is the standard deviation. the question said use THREE diff methods and i read in one of ur comments u said dat the three methods are calculator, formula 1 and formula 2.

I did get my ans by using a formula dat is “square root of variance”….
    but dat is only one out of three. the other two are calculator and formula 2… i read another comment of urs saying dat u dont really know bout calculator model fx-350MS… but wad bout formula 2? can u pls explain wad’s the other formula bsides the formula i stated above? thank you very much.

120. 120 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 7:55 pm

Hi alysson. Let me list out the methods to solve the question:
    1. Formula (either formula 1 or formula 2)
    2. Excel (the formula for excel is explained above)
    3. Scientific Calculator, using its “SD” function in Casio fx-570ms.

If you are to use manual calculation using formulas, then I can’t help you. You have to refer to your textbook for the formulas. As I remembered, I learned 2 formulas from my textbook.

If you wanted to ask me about alternate formula to calculate standard deviation using Excel, well, there’s no other way, other than using =VARP and =SQRT, which you said you figured it out.

If you wanted to ask how to use the Statistic Function on your calculator, well, I only know how to use the Casio fx-570ms.

121. 121 Gravatar Icon alysson
    August 24th, 2007 at 8:23 pm

hi! I had just finished the standard deviation part! Thanks! yeah, you were right about there are two formulas in the text book. :D

However, I still have another question which I dont really know how to do… :unsure:

Based on the information given and the data collected, determine the percentage of students that are underweight and the percentage of students that are obese by drawing an orgive. Represent your findings using statistical graphs and give comments.

The part that I dont understand is am i suppose to draw an orgive and 2 more stastistical graphs that are histogram and frequency polygon? Or just an orgive and one stastistical graph that can be either histogram or the frequency polygon? Another thing, how am i suppose to give comments? I saw the orgive u plotted in one of ur comments so my prob is not i dont know how to draw but is how many do i need to do and how to comment?

Thanks. :)

122. 122 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 24th, 2007 at 8:47 pm

I believe histogram and frequency polygon can come together right in a graph right? That is as I remembered lah, I kinda forgot about it myself.

And as for comment, well, this is pretty simple. You can start with how many percent is obese, how many percent is underweight. Then you can state what is the normal weight of your classmates. You can also say whether there are more obese students or more underweight students. It can be anything, as long as it is related to your question, ogive and the histogram/frequency polygon. Commenting is a subjective question, so there’s no right and wrong as long as it make sense, theoretically correct, and it is based on your calculations.

123. 123 Gravatar Icon anis
    August 24th, 2007 at 9:14 pm

terima kasih kpada gemini geek….my project add math is complited… :D :lol:

124. 124 Gravatar Icon alysson
    August 25th, 2007 at 7:57 am

hi again! Thanks for the help! my project was completed this morning at 1.30am!!! Thanks for all the guide! :)

125. 125 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 25th, 2007 at 10:28 am

You’re welcome. I’m glad I’m able to help :)

126. 126 Gravatar Icon amalina
    August 25th, 2007 at 8:16 pm

its about the project..
    i’ll crazy juz to think how to do the project.
    how to do this questions
    -represent your data from the frequency distribution table by using three different
    statistical graph.
    and about to find the bmi,how can i do to represent my findings using statistical graphs.

127. 127 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 25th, 2007 at 8:31 pm

Hi amalina.

I think I have repeated a few times on the comments on what graphs to use. Ogive. Histogram. Frequency Polygon. It’s 3 there. Now stop asking about it.

As for BMI, I think you have to be more specific. What is your exact question? Is it to find BMI and group them according to the BMI category specification? Or how? With just “find BMI and represent your findings using statistical graphs”, I really can’t help you. But here’s what I can suggest. Put frequency as y-axis and BMI as x-axisBMI as y-axis and frequency as x-axis. Then plot a line graph and see the trend.

128. 128 Gravatar Icon Angel
    August 25th, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Hehe…I’m sorry to disturb u again :P . But I didn’t see any people ask a question like this. I’m drawing an ogive to determine the percentage. I’m using the frequency of BMI category as my y-axis, but for x-axis usually we use upper boundary or upper limit rite? But in this cases, which each category is like this ( Underweight-below 18.5, Normal>>18.5-24.9, Overweight>>25-29.9, Obese-30 and above), how to determine the its upper limit or upper boundary? Or can I just use this category as my x-axis? And do u mind to give me ur email address? Thanx ya! U really helped me a lot! :D :D

129. 129 Gravatar Icon M3 Lover
    August 25th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

hye!
    i just want ask you something.
    it might sound a bit funny.
    can i do some of my add math folio using computer?
    and then the other i just write it on my own?

i mean mix la computer with handwritting.
    thnx a bunch!

:happy:

130. 130 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 25th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Oopps sorry, I have it the other way around! Frequency should be x-axis and BMI should be y-axis. You are right about that, Angel :) I’ve updated the comments up there to prevent any any confusion.

Well, what you can do is grouped data together, say BMI with interval of 2.5. The value of interval is up to you, but I guess you should know that the interval should remain constant through out the data. Then, you revised your data to something like this:

BMI (kg/m²)  Frequency
    15.1-17.5       x
    17.6-20.0       x
    20.1-22.5       x
    22.6-25.0       x
    25.1-27.5       x
    27.6-30.0       x
    30.1-32.5       x
    32.6-35.0       x

@M3 Lover, Yeah, I’m sure you can mix writings and computer, if you don’t mind it may look weird presentation wise. Well, it’s up to your teacher since they are the one who gives the mark :)

131. 131 Gravatar Icon Angel
    August 27th, 2007 at 12:56 am

I’m gonna pass up my addmath project liao…fuh……so relax now..Thanx again ya!

132. 132 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 27th, 2007 at 12:59 am

You’re welcome :happy:

133. 133 Gravatar Icon amnie
    August 27th, 2007 at 3:49 pm

hi there,

amnie says:

for this question, do i have to put all the 50 student’s BMI into my ogive????
    i saw ur example of the ogive b4..how to draw a smooth shape like that using my own data?
    and also..in x-axis, do i have to use frequency instead of using cumulative frequency?

134. 134 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 27th, 2007 at 4:49 pm

Yes, you have to put all the 50 students’ BMI to your ogive. But first, you have to group your data together like I said in Comment #130. As for the ogive smoothness, I guess I have mentioned about it in Comment #108. In real life statistics, it’s hard to get really nice graphs unless you’re dealing with a big population. The graph I did is just a mock graph, and should be taken as an example, not the real thing.

I’m sure you know that to draw ogive, you MUST use cumulative frequency. I didn’t write it specifically in my previous replies because I assume that you all SHOULD know you can’t draw ogive using frequency as it will turn out to be like frequency polygon. Well, blame my laziness for not typing the word “cumulative”. But I believe this is the basic and you should know about it.

135. 135 Gravatar Icon MUHAMMAD FARIS
    August 27th, 2007 at 8:39 pm

Hi, Im Faris.I want to ask about add maths project work 2007.I have a problem with the question [b][i] Represent your data from the frequency distribution table by using three different statistical graph.I hope you can show me the formula and im not asking answer,only its 3 formula. Thank You.

136. 136 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 27th, 2007 at 9:22 pm

I am sick of repeating the same thing over and over. Please read the comments up there. Stop being ignorant and start reading what I have explained. I know there’s over 50 comments for you to read, but if you kept asking the same question over and over you will make the people in the future read more and more comments.

The 3 statistical graph that you can use to represent your data are:
    1. OGIVE
    2. FREQUENCY POLYGON
    3. HISTOGRAM

There’s no formula involved because the question requires you to represent the data in graphs, not to calculate any new data.

137. 137 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    August 28th, 2007 at 4:52 pm

i done my project…Thanks for ur help..GeminiGeek..Thanks ya!

138. 138 Gravatar Icon SJpeople
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:02 pm

hey! it’s surprising to know that someone would use his/her blog to teach others how to do addmaths project. It’s really nice of you though, to willing to help your ‘sesated’ juniors. I gotta say those guides above are really helpful to people like me whose teacher doesnt explain clearly on how and what to do.

My questions are:
    1. How to draw graphs like ogive and frequency polygons using excel?
    2.Can i type everything but draw my own graphs using graphs paper?
    3. Is Task Specification the part where you only explain the methods you use like stating what formula you use and what each symbol stands for or is it explanation+working+answer?. Is the calculation n working n answer suppose to be in the problem-solving part? both parts are seperated rite?

Thanks much! :D

139. 139 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:20 pm

You’re welcome Cheng, I only do what I can. Glad those guides helps you :happy:

SJpeople, I am a guy btw. :) And as for your question:

1. I am not sure how to draw graphs using Excel. I can’t really help you on this.

2. I believe you can do that, because I did all my graphs in graphs paper for my statistics project! But I would recommend you to consult your teacher as he or she might not like that.

3. I did my project in BM, but I suppose there’s shouldn’t be much changes. “Pentakrifan Masalah”, which I assume the nearest translation should be Task Specification, is where I rephrase the questions, explaining what I am I going to calculate from the questions. This part is practically useless and nonsense, but you still have to do it. There’s another section called “Perancangan Penyelesaian Masalah”, and this is where I explained the methods use in details, such as the formula, what each symbol means and what not.

140. 140 Gravatar Icon SJpeople
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:45 pm

wow! that’s a fast reply, are you online every 7/11?

the part which i’m not clear is in which part do you explain what formula you use and what the symbols mean and all, is it the planning part or the answering part? if it’s in the answering part, means u not only write the formula, but also the symbols’ meaning, then only you calculate and do the working and state the answer?

hmm…i thought the explanation of what formula to use and it’s symbols’ meaning is in the planning aka the Task Specification part? my teacher did mumbled on that, but she didnt explain the whole thing…man…it’s where she expects us to know how to do the worst!

do i need to include the formula i use in task specification? just rephrase the question? means the whole thing is kinda short rite?

How many pages did you do for your task specification part? is it very short?

Thanks:D

141. 141 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 29th, 2007 at 12:43 am

Well, it just so happens that I was online at the time you commented on my blog. I have notification on my email whenever there’s a comment running in.

I explain the formula and methods in planning part. In answering part, I just directly write all the workings and answers, just as you do in the exams.

I am not sure what is the exact format now, and plus its everything in English. I did “Pentakrifan Masalah” and “Perancangan Penyelesaian Masalah” which could be bluntly translated as “Task Specification” and “Task Solving Plans”. “Pentakrifan Masalah” is where I rephrase the questions, and “Perancangan Penyelesaian Masalah” is where I explain the methods and formula used. I guess it’s up to you to format your project. Just make sure you include a section where you rephrase the questions and a section where you explain the methods and formula used. That should be sufficient.

142. 142 Gravatar Icon Marlene
    August 29th, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Hi Gemini Geek

I don’t wanna sound desperate but I’m really pressed for time right now coz the deadline for my Form 4 project is tomorrow. And I just need help with one little question.

As you said, the interval range has to be constant. After the curve is drawn, how do we determine the percentage?
    Thank you.

143. 143 Gravatar Icon SJpeople
    August 29th, 2007 at 10:01 pm

Did you cut out the graphs and paste it on ur A4 paper or did you draw every graph on 1 graph paper each and put it together with A4 like during exam?

Thanks :)

144. 144 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 29th, 2007 at 10:18 pm

Marlene, once you got the curve, you can find the number of people within the curve, just like in the picture above (Comment #85). To count percentage, I guess it’s like doing simple maths, since you have the number of students within the curve and the total students. You do the math :)

SJpeople, in exams you have to graphs as big as possible to show its clarity, and all graphs are supposingly to be included in separate pages. In this project, I draw it in a size where it is just as nice and can be fit in my folio. I cut and paste the graph paper to my folio. I did that for presentation purpose, and I guess you should do the same so that it looks more like a Folio rather than exam answer manuscript.

145. 145 Gravatar Icon yeah!!!
    August 31st, 2007 at 9:24 pm

arr…i want to ask what is the formula for standard deviation?? i know there are two method for the standard deviation but there are also catergory to group data and ungroup data. so what should i do? now my project is start with grouped data so i need to change to ungrouped data so that i can calculate the standard deviation? sorry if i am disturb u!!! but please don’t angry ya!!! ^_^ hope u teach me as soon as possible!! thank you!!

146. 146 Gravatar Icon syoaren
    August 31st, 2007 at 10:49 pm

Em.. i’m kinda new here.. I want to ask u something. When drawing a histogram, do we need to draw all the bars or just draw three only? I hope you can help me. Thank u. :unsure:

147. 147 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    August 31st, 2007 at 11:53 pm

@yeah!!: If my memory serves me right, there are formulas to count grouped and ungrouped data. If there isn’t, I guess you have to convert them.

@syoaren: I don’t quite get what you mean by three only. It all depends on how many group of data have you created. If you only created 3 group of data, then you only have 3 bars in your histogram.

148. 148 Gravatar Icon yeah!!!
    September 1st, 2007 at 10:29 pm

thank you!! ^_^

149. 149 Gravatar Icon syoaren
    September 1st, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Never mind..
    Anyway thank you.. :)

150. 150 Gravatar Icon Rinko-sakura_yen
    September 2nd, 2007 at 2:17 am

1)My answer of mean is 56.9 kg
    median is 57kg
    n the mode is 57 kg ( i take the midpoint of class 55-59)
    … for 50 students de ….

Class  Midpoint,x  Frequency,f  fx    fx^2
    40-44      42            4      168   7056
    45-49      47            5      235   11045
    50-54      52            9      468   24336
    55-59      57           14      798   45486
    60-64      62            9      558   34596
    65-69      67            6      402   26934
    70-74      72            3      216   15552
    Total     399           50      2845  165005

n here is my data collected
    The class represent the weight n frequency is the frequency of ppl having that weight
    wat do u think the best measure of central tendency will b? ( all the answer is quite same)

2)Role that i can play to make ‘obesity awareness campaign’ a sucess….
    wat can i do for answer this question?

3)N here is the guide of calculating SD using casio fx-350MS
    *actually u can just c the cover of that calculator coz there got write marh…aiyo*
    1. Press [Mode] [2] to enter Standard Deviation(SD) Mode.
    2. Always start data input with [SHIFT] [CLR] (Scl) [=] to clear statistical memory.
    3. In the SD mode, the [M+] key operates as the [DT] key.
    4. Then, input the data using the key sequence shown below.
    [] [DT]
    5. After that, press[ up] and [ down ] to input the frequency, f.
    6. Finally, press [shift] [2](S-VAR) [2] to obtain the final answer of standard deviation.

Example:
    In the SD mode,
    • [SHIFT] [CLR] (Scl) [=] (Stat Clear)

• 42 [DT]
    Each time you press [DT] to register your input, the number of data input up to that point is indicated on the display ( n or x value)

• 47 [DT] 52 [DT] 57 [DT] 62 [DT] 67 [DT] 72 [DT]

• After u input finish the n data( or ur x data) press [down] u’ll c ‘ freq1=1′ just press the value(frequency) of the 1st class then press [=]

• press [4] [=] (frequency of 1st class)

• then pres [down] again u’ll c ‘freq2=1′ key in ur frequency of 2nd class(example :5 [=] )
    remember to press [=] after u key in the frequency! not [M+]

• Continue key in the frequency of the data :
    9 [=] 14 [=] 9 [=] 6 [=] 3 [=]

• [SHIFT] [2] (S-VAR) [2] (xσn) [=]

N u will find the answer of standard deviation!
    itshould b exactly same wif ur answer (by using formula to calculate de)

Hence, the answer is 7.905(Rounded off to 4 significant figure) #

Hope this guide is useful n exactly noe wat i’m saying bcoz my english is suck!
    If i got repeat questions…then i’m sorry….
    N i oso hope gemini geek can answer my question…thx for ur help thx!!!!!
    Arigato kozaimasuta!

151. 151 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 2nd, 2007 at 2:55 am

Well, if all the answer is the almost the same, then it’s up to you to do the judgment. But, I would prefer to take mean because it takes it measures the average of all the data rather than median where you literally pick the value in the middle of the population.

As for roles that you could play, I think I repeated that many times. That question is rather subjective, so I believe I can leave that question for you all to do it yourself. It’s just like writing essay I believe.

And thanks for the guide for Casio fx-350 ms. Since I am using fx570 ms, I can’t confirm whether the fx350 have SD function or not. Thanks for the confirmation. Anyways, some people are like that. They have manual, and yet they don’t want to read it. Take my blog for example, with the very large bold text saying “Please do not ask the same question that have been asked” and yet people still ask. I guess some people prefers to stay ignorant rather than take the initiative to read.

152. 152 Gravatar Icon syoaren
    September 2nd, 2007 at 11:56 pm

How to arrange this data into class interval?

BMI
    18.3655
    18.1320
    18.9745
    .. .. .. ..

153. 153 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 3rd, 2007 at 12:05 am

You sure take your time to write out everything. I’ve edited your comments because it is too long. Anyways, first thing you do is to sort your data, so that you can identify the lowest and the highest. I noticed that 14.8789 is the lowest and 26.6728 is the highest. From there, get the difference between the lowest and the highest. Then, you divide the difference into the number of class intervals that you want.

Simple isn’t it?

154. 154 Gravatar Icon syoaren
    September 3rd, 2007 at 3:27 pm

Thanks

155. 155 Gravatar Icon nimisyz
    September 3rd, 2007 at 8:11 pm

thanks sooo much for all the guides (even i didn’t ask any question :P ). U are a big help !

156. 156 Gravatar Icon Steffi
    September 3rd, 2007 at 10:46 pm

Hi GeminiGeek.
    I was wondering whether you could please explain how to insert:
    23/50 x 100% with Microsoft Office.
    Thanks.

157. 157 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 3rd, 2007 at 11:13 pm

I don’t really get what you mean. If you are trying to insert mathematical formula to your Microsoft Office documents, you have to make sure you have installed Microsoft Equation. Without that add-on, you cannot insert any equation to your documents. Well, that’s the actual purpose of this entry. I was writing about how to install Microsoft Equation. Make sure you have the CD and everything is set.

158. 158 Gravatar Icon jazz
    September 12th, 2007 at 10:14 pm

i don’t have Microsoft Equation installed..and i don’t have the CD with me..Help? :cry:

159. 159 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 12th, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Then I can’t really help you. Just handwrite your projects.

160. 160 Gravatar Icon jaNE
    September 20th, 2007 at 3:45 pm

sorry for disturb~ but now i doing my project form 5 one~~~ i dunno how 2 do the introduction…anyone can helP~~ s0bx s0bx~~ nid to put wad??? anybody knoe it???

161. 161 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    September 21st, 2007 at 9:44 pm

hi…besides project work,can u help in problem solving?

162. 162 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 21st, 2007 at 10:14 pm

Jane, you can write about investing for a better future? I don’t know, Introduction is rather subjective.

Cheng, what do you mean by problem solving? I thought all the answers are the solution to the problems? If you’re talking about introduction, methods, conclusion and all those OTHER than the calculations, then you have to refer to the comments for some hints.

163. 163 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    September 21st, 2007 at 10:17 pm

no..i mean question in add maths…not in project work…

164. 164 Gravatar Icon GeminiGeek
    September 21st, 2007 at 10:20 pm

Erm.. not really. I am not a pro-maths teacher. To tell you the truth, I forgot most of the stuff I learn in secondary school. It just so happens that this year’s Add Math project is related to the course that I am currently doing, which is why I am able to help and guide most people that stopped by here.

165. 165 Gravatar Icon Cheng
    September 21st, 2007 at 10:23 pm

That’s ok…Nevermind…Anywhere u helped me so much in project work..Thanks^^

166. 166 Gravatar Icon Tracey
    November 9th, 2007 at 11:44 pm

I need 2 methods in calculating mode, mean and median ….and also I need to check the answers using the alternative method but I dunno what alternative method should I use… :cry:

167. 167 Gravatar Icon farah4
    November 30th, 2007 at 4:56 pm

how to draw histogram and ogive by using microsoft excel 2003?

168. 168 Gravatar Icon Zainulx3
    June 13th, 2008 at 11:10 pm

can u give sample addmath project?
    send to zainulx3@gmail.com
    THANKS!! :razz:

169. 169 Gravatar Icon evaNz
    July 4th, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Wow… thats nice.. but I’m searching for the pendulum one.. addmath project work for this year.. but this is nice though

170. 170 Gravatar Icon BoyZ
    July 15th, 2008 at 9:23 pm

ayyia…>> :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :oops:

171. 171 Gravatar Icon dyana
    July 20th, 2008 at 11:10 am

cam ne nk uat project work for add math 2008 :? .project work nie berkaitan dgn pendulum………tlg la sok nk anta……. :sad:

172. 172 Gravatar Icon stella
    July 23rd, 2008 at 7:33 pm

can u give me answer for add math 5???
    PLS><TQ
    PLS REPLY AS SOON AS FASTER…….

173. 173 Gravatar Icon scavenger
    August 15th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

i’m looking for the oscillations of pndulum..form 5 project work..i have to pass up this work after the school break..i need to solve this work as fast as possible..my trial exam is around the corner..please guide me..

174. 174 Gravatar Icon sha
    August 21st, 2008 at 12:16 pm

:sad: :sad: :sad:

175. 175 Gravatar Icon fa
    August 22nd, 2008 at 5:52 pm

hye..
    i hv 2 sbmit this year project by next week,&
    i’m in boarding school.
    do reply me on how to do the add math 2008 project&
    maybe the answers by tomorrow.

ASAP.tq.

176. 176 Gravatar Icon intan
    August 22nd, 2008 at 10:58 pm

hey,
    do u know about the task specification 4 addmath proj tis year? i can’t find it anywhere.. :???:

177. 177 Gravatar Icon leya
    August 23rd, 2008 at 1:40 pm

hye..i hve 2 submit ma course work next week..itz about da pendulum..i really need a copy of dat..hope u will send me da answer 4 da project work..thx..adios.. :sad:

178. 178 Gravatar Icon fasz
    September 23rd, 2008 at 9:51 am

hyeee…. i need guide n answer 4 add math project work 2008 about pendulum… anybody that has the answer plezzz send it 2 me at my mail….

179. 179 Gravatar Icon lonely shadow
    April 22nd, 2009 at 7:18 pm

can someone teach me how to do the add mat project from 5 2009 pls me need help so pls help me can ma ^^

180. 180 Gravatar Icon haiz
    May 10th, 2009 at 10:41 am

help me to do the project work of add math , form 5 , 2009 !! please ~

181. 181 Gravatar Icon AnnaNoble
    June 5th, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I found the best thing to my friend’s birthday… It’s really hard to find cool and still unique.
    So today I saw this thing from ZTARLET on facebook where you can name a real star in the sky and have the certificate and a teddy bear sent to you and pay it by a single SMS. So awesome :)

182. 182 Gravatar Icon sya
    March 28th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

help me plis????
    im not tuw gud in this subject,,huhu

183. 183 Gravatar Icon ho
    May 28th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

can i ask you got add maths project form5 2010 answer?

184. 184 Gravatar Icon katak
    May 28th, 2010 at 5:29 pm

how to do add math project work about index number????………..
    i must finish it on this month please help me………

185. 185 Gravatar Icon shah
    June 1st, 2010 at 8:57 pm

hye…can u help me?
    i nid to know how to do add math project about the gate of an art gallery..
    plz help me…i hv to done it this month

186. 186 Gravatar Icon nur
    June 7th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

d index number
    can u give me some idea…
    what i’ve to starts with??

187. 187 Gravatar Icon sofia
    June 8th, 2010 at 7:01 pm

hi.. well, can u provide me with add maths folio tips on index number or statistics?? thx

188. 188 Gravatar Icon aisyah
    June 16th, 2010 at 10:09 pm

hey , thanks for sharing. it helps me a lot :D

189. 189 Gravatar Icon Vafaparma
    May 24th, 2012 at 2:15 am

L’idée était déjà un seul gangs de drogue brutale dont est venu très informations à propos la Queens mêmes où les rappeurs 50 Cent en plus de la Ja émergé ans plus tard. Peut-être à , voyez-vous, les suprême de l’équipe du réseau joint à entre concessionnaires ont été faire 200 000 $ a particulier vous , ont annoncé les autorités. beats by dre
    Après McGriff a fait la prison durée sur votre infraction relative aux drogues, il votre mari était autrefois ici 1997 et donc qui ont quartier ami et en outre, magnat de Irv “Gotti” Lorenzo. Le une seule fois voyous produit un film: «Les partenaires de la criminalité,” a straight-to-vidéo affaire qui présenté très Ja Rule, Snoop Dogg et aussi Ice-T. polo ralph lauren pas cher
    Les investisseurs sont include recevoir débuts de Facebook Wall Street vendredi après la terre n ° 1 basé sur Internet sociale soulevé environ 16 milliards $ pour ayant un de votre respective ouvert situé dans ayant des États-Unis Fondation .

190. 190 Gravatar Icon drownserez
    December 13th, 2012 at 12:13 am

Отличная работа парни vipmixaroma.ru, продолжайте в том же духе
    я с вами

191. 191 Gravatar Icon cam zap
    July 29th, 2013 at 11:41 am

This is really attention-grabbing, You’re an excessively skilled blogger. I’ve
    joined your rss feed and look forward to in quest of extra of your great post.
    Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks

192. 192 Gravatar Icon chat with strangers
    November 11th, 2013 at 9:22 am

Yes! Finally someone writes about talk to strangers.

193. 193 Gravatar Icon free live chat
    April 5th, 2014 at 9:38 am

May I just say what a relief to uncover someone who genuinely knows what they are
    talking about online. You actually understand how to bring an issue to light and make it
    important. A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of your story.
    It’s surprising you aren’t more popular given that you certainly possess the gift.